Gary W. Florkowski
Associate Professor of Business Administration
Organizations and Entrepreneurship
Office: 278C Mervis Hall
- PhD, Syracuse University, 1989
- JD, Syracuse University, 1981
- BS, Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University, 1978
Gary W. Florkowski is an associate professor of business administration at the Katz Graduate School of Business. Dr. Florkowski's primary teaching and research interests are focused on the strategic repositioning of the HR function through outsourcing, IT assimilation, and restructuring; international and comparative human resource management; and the risks that labor practices pose to global supply chains and national development policies. He has authored 30 articles and book chapters that have been published in such leading academic journals as the Academy of Management Review, Industrial Relations, Human Relations, British Journal of Industrial Relations, and the International Journal of Human Resource Management. His recently published book, Managing global legal systems: International employment regulation and competitive advantage, examines the role that political institutions around the world play in the creation and administration of labor and employment laws, as well as the strategic opportunities that companies have to influence such regulation at home and abroad. Current research projects include studies of (1) the attitudinal and performance effects that HR technologies have on HR departments, (2) the impacts that employment regulation and its enforcement have on foreign investment flows, and (3) cross-border differences in institutional capacity to foster compliance in the workplace.
Prior to joining the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Florkowski was a member of the New York Bar.
- Human Resources for Competitive Advantage
- Staffing Organizations
- Managing Offshore Outsourcing
- Entering Foreign Markets-Exporting, Licensing, and FDI
- Managing Human Resources in a Global Economy
- Entering Foreign Markets-Exporting, Licensing & FDI
- Florkowski, G. W. (forthcoming). “HR-technology systems: An evidence-based approach to construct measurement.” In M. R. Buckley, J. R. B. Halbesleben, & A. R. Wheeler (eds.), Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management, 36. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing.
- Florkowski, G. W., & Olivas-Luján, M. R. (2016). Predicting HR’s involvement and influence in strategic decision-making. Management Revue: Socio-Economic Studies, 27: 160-186.
- Olivas-Luján. M. R., & Florkowski, G. W. (2010). Does IT governance matter in e-HRM? International Journal of Business Information Systems, 5: 134-147.
- Olivas-Luján M., and Florkowski, G.W. (2008). "Diffusion of HR-ICTs: An innovations perspective." In G. Martin, M. Reddington, & H. Alexander (eds.), Technology, outsourcing and transforming HR, 232-256. Burlington, MA: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Olivas-Luján M., and Florkowski, G.W. (2008) "The diffusion of HRITs across countries." In T. Torres-Conoras and M. Arias-Oliva (eds.) Encyclopedia of human resource information systems: Challenges in e-HRM, 242-247. Hershey, PA: Idea Group.
- Florkowski, G.W. (2006). Managing global legal systems: International employment regulation and competitive advantage, NY: Routledge.
- Florkowski, G.W. and M. Olivas-Luján M. (2006). "The diffusion of human-resource information-technology innovations in U.S. and non-U.S. firms." Personnel Review 35: 684-710.
- Schuler, R.S., P. Budhwar, and Florkowski, G.W. (2004) "International human resource management." In B.J. Punnett & O. Shenkar (eds.), Handbook of International Management Research, second edition, 356-414. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Select Conference Papers and Presentations
- Florkowski, G.W. (2008) "Technology-enabled HR services: Old haunts, new frontiers." Keynote presentation, 2nd European Academic e-HRM Workshop. Marseille, France.
- Florkowski, G.W., and Olivas-Luján M. (2007) "Capturing employment regulation's impact on foreign direct investment: In search of a better mousetrap." 9th International Human Resource Management Conference. Tallinn, Estonia.
- Florkowski, G.W. (2006) "Transnational employment regulation: An integrative or differentiating force in IHRM?" Professional Development Workshop, Academy of Management Annual Meeting. Atlanta.
- Editorial Board, Journal of World Business, 1997-present.
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1993- present.