Professor of Business Administration and Area Director for Business Analytics and Operations
Business Analytics and Operations
Office: 230 Mervis Hall
- PhD, Operations Management, University of Texas at Austin
- MBA, University of Iowa
- Bachelor of International Business, National Taiwan University
Jennifer Shang was a research fellow at The Advanced Manufacturing Program in The IC2 Institute at Austin, Texas, and was a Lilly Endowment Teaching Fellow. In the MBA program, she teaches Statistics, Production Management and Process Improvement, and Simulation. In addition, she teaches the undergraduate Operations Management and Global Supply Chain Management, and courses at the EMBA, IEMBA, and PhD levels as well.
Shang's current research emphasizes three areas: (1) The design, planning, scheduling, and control of operational systems in manufacturing and service organizations. She develops theoretical and heuristic approaches to improve the productivity and quality of business process flows. (2) Design and evaluation of integrated information/operational systems. Given the importance of technology, she emphasizes the innovative use of information technology in the value chain management. (3) Multi-criteria decision making. She uses Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) to measure the relative efficiency of operating units. She also applies Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Analytic Network Process methods to make decisions in complicated environments.
- BQOM 1730 Global Supply Chain Management
- BQOM 1070 Operations Management (CBA)
- BQOM 2516 Project Management Fundamentals & Analysis
- BQOM 2051 Operations Management Project (MBA)
- BQOM 2401 & 2801 Statistical Analysis: Uncertainty, Prediction and Qualilty Improvement (MBA and EMBA)
- Manufacturing and Service Operations Management
- Revenue Management
- Quantitative Methods
- Operations Research and Information Systems
- “Distribution Network Redesign for Competitiveness”, with Yildirim, Tadikamalla, Mittal, and Brown. Journal of Marketing. 73(2), 2009, pp.146–163
- “A Decision Support Framework for Internal Audit Prioritization in Rental Car Company: Combined Use between DEA and AHP”, with T. Sueyoshi and W. Chiang. European Journal of Operational Research, 199(1), 2009, pp. 219-231
- “Core Business Concentration vs. Corporation Diversification in the US Electric Utility Industry: Synergy and Deregulation Effect,” with Sueyoshi and M. Goto. Energy Policy 37(11), 2009, pp. 4583-4594.
- “Maximizing customer satisfaction through an on line recommendation system: A novel associative classification model”, with Y. Jiang and Y. Liu. Decision Support Systems . 48(3), 2010, pp. 470-479.
- “Why do Software Firms Fail? Capabilities, Competitive Actions and Firm Survival in the Software Industry from 1995 to 2007,” with S. Li and S. Slaughter. Information Systems Research, 21(3), 2010, 631- 654.
Won the Best Published Paper Award, Information Systems Society and Information Systems Research, INFORMS 2011 conference
- “An Information Granulation Entropy-Based Model for Third-Party Logistics Providers Evaluation,” with G. Zhang and W. Li by International Journal of Production Research. 50 (1), 2012, 177–190.
- “Offshore Outsourcing Decision Making: A Policy-Maker's Perspective,” with Y. Tjader and L. Vargas. European Journal of Operational Research, 207(1), 2010, 434-444.
- “ Optimizing E-tailer Profits and Customer Savings: Pricing Multi-Stage Customized Online Bundles,“ with Jiang, C. Kemerer, and Liu, Marketing Science, 30(4), 2011, 737-752
- “An Innovative Orders-of-Magnitude Approach to AHP-Based Mutli-criteria Decision Making:Prioritizing Divergent Intangible Humane Acts,” with T. Saaty, European Journal of Operational Research, 214(3), 2011, pp.703-715
- “Collaborative Production Planning of Supply Chain Under Price and Demand Uncertainty,” with Zhang and Li, European Journal of Operational Research, 215, 2011, pp. 590-603
- “Selection of a 3rd Party Logistics Provider: Capturing the Interaction and Influence of Performance Metrics with the ANP,” Journal of Multi-criteria Decision Analysis, 19: 115–128 (2012)
- “An Analysis of Discrepancy Between Point-of-Care and Central Laboratory International Normalized Ratio Testing in ED Patients with Cerebrovascular Disease,” with S. Nanduri, A. Tayal, G. Hegde, and A. Venkat, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, (2012), 30, 2025–2029
- “A New Methodology for Sensitivity and Stability Analysis of Analytic Network Models,” with J. May, T. Tjader, and L. Vargas. European Journal of Operational Research, 224 (2013) 180–188
- Robust Design of a JIT-Based Cross-Docking Distribution Center: Multi-Criteria Optimization for an Auto Parts Supply Chain, with W. Shi, Z. Liu, and Y. Cui, European Journal of Operational Research, 229(3): 695-706, 2013
- Firm-Level IT Outsourcing Decision Making: A Balanced Scorecard-Based Analytic Network Process Model, with Tjader, May, Vargas, and Gao. 147(C), January 2014, Pages 614–623 International Journal of Production Economics
- Supply Chain Channel Strategies with Quality and Marketing Effort-Dependent Demand, with Peng. Ma and H. Wang, International Journal of Production Economics, 144(2): 572-581, 2013
- Optimizing Shipping Fee Schedule to Maximize E-tailer Profits, with Jiang, and Liu, accepted 146, 634-645, 2013. International Journal of Production Economics.
- Kou, G., Ergu, D., & Shang, J. (2014). Enhancing data consistency in decision matrix: Adapting Hadamard model to mitigate judgment contradiction. European Journal of Operational Research, 236(1), 261-271.
- Contract Design for Two-Stage Supply Chain Coordination: Integrating Manufacturer-Quality and Retailer-Marketing Efforts, with P. Ma and H. Wang, International Journal of Production Economics, 146(2), 2013, Pages 745–755
- Bicriteria Hierarchical Optimization of Two-Machine Flow Shop Scheduling Problem with Time-Dependent Deteriorating Jobs, with M. Cheng, P. Tadikamalla, and S. Zhang, European Journal of Operational Research, 234 (2014) 650–657
- Delays in The Administration of Antimicrobials in the ED and The Impact of An Educational Intervention to Improve Such Administration, with M. E. Groth, N. H. Chan-Tompkins, G. G. Hegde, and A. Venkat. European Journal of Emergency Medicine, 20(5), October 2013, 339-343
- Development and Evaluation of Educational Materials for Pre-Hospital and Emergency Department Personnel on the Care of Patients with Autism Spectrum Disorder, with J.J. McGonigle, J. M. Migyanka, S. J. Glor-Scheib, R. Cramer, J. J. Fratangeli, G.G. Hegde, and A. Venkat. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, (May 2014) 44:1252-1259
- Incorporating Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment into Emergency Nursing Workflow Using an Existing Computerized Physician Order Entry/Clinical Decision Support System.” With T. Slain, S. Rickard-Aasen, J.L. Pringle, GG. Hegde, W. Johnjulio, A. Venkat, Journal of Emergency Nursing, 2014; 40(6):568-74 (ISSN: 1527-2966)
- Optimal Design of the Auto Parts Supply Chain for JIT Operations: Sequential Bifurcation Factor Screening and Multi-Respon`se Surface Methodology, with W. Shi, Liu, Z, and X. Zuo, 236(2), 664-676, European Journal of Operational Research, 2014, July.
- An analytic decision making framework to evaluate multiple marketing channels, with k. Chen and G. Kou, Industrial Marketing Management, 43(8), November 2014, Pages 1420–1434
- Evolution of knowledge sharing behavior in social commerce: An agent-based computational approach, with Jiang, G., Ma, F., P. Chau. 278, 2014 (September) 250–266, Information Sciences (Impact Factor: 3.893)
- Robust Inventory Decision under Distribution Uncertainty: A CVaR-Based Optimization Approach, International Journal of Production Economics, with R. Qiu, 153, July 2014, 13-23
- Two-machine flow shop scheduling with deteriorating jobs: Minimizing the weighted sum of makespan and total completion time, with M. Cheng, P. Tadikamalla, and B. Zhang, Journal of the Operational Research Society (July, 2015) 66, 709–719
- Decision Support for Personalized Cloud Service Selection through Multi-Attribute Trustworthiness Evaluation. PloS one (a Computer & Information Science Journal), 9(6), e97762, Ding, S., Xia, C. Y., Zhou, K. L., Yang, S. L., & Shang, J. S. (June 2014), (Impact Factor: 3.53)
- Robust Optimization for Risk-averse Multi-period Inventory Decision with Partial Demand Distribution Information with R. Qiu, International Journal of Production Research, 09/2014, 52(24):7472-7495.
- Single machine scheduling problems with exponentially time-dependent learning effects, with M. Cheng, P. Tadikamalla, and B. Zhang, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 34, January 2015, Pages 60–65
- Racial Disparities in Reimbursement for Physician Professional Services in the Emergency Department,” with A. Venkat, U. Onyekwere, J. O’Neill, G.G. Hegde, J. Shang, S. Kekre, T.P. Campbell. American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 32(9), 2014, 1060-1067
- Pharmacist Addition to the Post-Emergency Department Visit Review of Discharge Antimicrobial Regimens, American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 32(10), 2014, 1270-1274
- A Modular-Based Supplier Evaluation Framework: A Comprehensive Data Analysis of ANP Structure, with D. Ergu, G. Kou, accepted by International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 13(5), September 2014
- The Rationality of Punishment - Measuring the Severity Of Crimes: An AHP-Based Orders-of-Magnitude Approach. With Saaty and Özdemir, International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 14(1), 2015, 5–16.
- Incentive Mechanism for Knowledge Sharing in E-Commerce Service Supply Chain: Complementarity, Integration And Risk Attitude, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research (JECR), accepted Oct. 2014, with Z. Liu and M. Lai
- Venkat, A., Kekre, S., Hegde, G. G., Shang, J., & Campbell, T. P. (2015). Strategic management of operations in the emergency department. Production and Operations Management.
- Evaluation of Viewpoints of Health Care Professionals on the Role of Ethics Committees and Hospitals in the Resolution of Clinical Ethical Dilemmas Based on Practice Environment, with B. Marcus, et al., HealthCare Ethics Committee Forum, 2014, Dec; 26(4)
- Visualizing Dynamic Market Structure through Online Product Reviews: Integrate Topic Modeling, TOPSIS, and Multi-Dimensional Scaling Approaches, with K. Chen, G. Kou, C. Yang, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 14(1), 2015, pp. 58-74.
- Redesigning Promotion Strategy For E-commerce Competitiveness Through Pricing and Recommendation, accepted (Feb. 4, 2015), by International Journal of Production Economics, with Jiang, Y. Liu, and J. May. 167, Sept. 2015, pp. 257–270
- Impacts of Supplier Hubris on Inventory Decisions and Green Manufacturing Endeavors European Journal of Operational Research, with Lu, Wu, Hegde, Vargas, and Zhao, accepted by European Journal of Operational Research , 245(1), August 2015, Pages 121–132
- “A Comparison of Emergency Department and Direct Admission Care of Cancer Patients with Febrile Neutropenia,” Diwura Owolabi, Richard Rowland, Lauren King, Rick Miller, Gajanan G. Hegde, Jennifer Shang, John Lister, Arvind Venkat, American Journal of Emergency Medicine, Volume 33, Number 7, July 2015, 966-969
- Comparison of Viewpoints of Health Care Professionals with or Without Involvement with Formal Ethics Processes on the Role of Ethics Committees and Hospitals in the Resolution of Clinical Ethical Dilemmas, with Marcus, Carlson, Hegde, and Venkat. Clinical Ethics, June 2015, Vol. 10(1–2) 22–33
- The Impact of Knowledge on Online Brand Success: An Agent-Based Model for Online Market Share Enhancement, With Jiang and Tadikamalla, European Journal of Operational Research (accepted July 26, 2015), Published 2016, 248(3), 1093-1103
- Optimal production and inventory decisions under demand and production disruptions. International Journal of Production Research, 54(1), 287-301. Xu, X., Shang, J., Wang, H., & Chiang, W. C. (2016).
- Wang, W., Zhang, Y., Zhang, K., Bai, T., & Shang, J. (2015). Reward–penalty mechanism for closed-loop supply chains under responsibility-sharing and different power structures. International Journal of Production Economics, 170, 178-190.
- Optimal Pricing for Group Buying With Network Effects, with G. Zhang, and P. Yildirim (Accepted Oct. 9, 2015), OMEGA: The International Journal of Management Science
- Online pricing with bundling and coupon discounts, with Jiang, Y., Liu, Y., Wang, H. & Ding, S. (2015). International Journal of Production Research, (Accepted 24-Aug-2015)
- Multi-criteria group decision making with fuzzy data: an extension of the VIKOR method, with Jiang, W. (2015), Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics 26(4), 764–773.
- Enhancing Market Service and Enterprise Operations Through a Large-Scale GIS-Based Distribution System, Expert Systems with Applications, with Gu, W; Foster, K., 55:157-171, 2016
- Enhancing Corporate Social Responsibility: Contract Design Under Information Asymmetry (Accepted March 7, 2016 ), OMEGA: The International Journal of Management Science, with Ma, P. and H. Wang.
- Enhancing corporate social responsibility: Contract design under information asymmetry. OMEGA: The International Journal of Management Science, 67, 19-30. Ma, P., Shang, J., & Wang, H. 67, 19-30. (2017). Impact factor (4.376)
- Evaluating Emergency Response Solutions for Sustainable Community Development by Using Fuzzy Multi-Criteria Group Decision Making Approaches: IVDHF-TOPSIS and IVDHF-VIKOR. Sustainability, 8(4), 291. 80. Zhang, J., Hegde, G. G., Shang, J., & Qi, X. (2016).
- Corporate credit-risk evaluation system: Integrating explicit and implicit financial performances. International Journal of Production Economics, 177, 77-100. 2016. Zhang, F., Tadikamalla, P. R., & Shang, J. (2016). (Accepted April 17, 2016)
- Two-way information sharing under supply chain competition. International Journal of Production Economics, 178, 82-94, Bian, W., Shang, J., & Zhang, J. (2016).
- Collection channel and production decisions in a closed-loop supply chain with remanufacturing cost disruption. Han, X., Wu, H., Yang, Q., & Shang, J. International Journal of Production Research, 55(4), 1147-1167 (2017).
- Reverse channel selection under remanufacturing risks: Balancing profitability and robustness. International Journal of Production Economics, 182, 63-72, 2016, with Han, X., Wu, H., Yang, Q., & Shang, J. (2016).
- Multi-period optimization with loss-averse customer behavior: Joint pricing and inventory decisions with stochastic demand. Expert Systems with Applications, 72, 421-429, With Song, H., Ran, L. (2017).
- Evaluating two-stage holistic production systems using novel CSDEA approach, with Zhai, D., Jin, M.,Ji, C., Journal of Modelling in Management (Accepted Nov. 22, 2016)
- Coordinating VMI supply chain under yield uncertainty: Option contract, subsidy contract, and replenishment tactic. With Cai, J., Zhong, M., & Huang, W., International Journal of Production Economics, 185, 196-210 (2017).
- Learning from class-imbalanced data: Review of methods and applications. Expert Systems with Applications. With H. Gu., Y. Li., Shang, J. 73(1), 220–239, 2017.
- Optimal inventory decisions under vendor managed inventory: Substitution effects and replenishment tactics. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 43, 611-629, 2017. With Cai, J., Tadikamalla, P. R., & Huang, G.
- Flexible contract design for VMI supply chain with service-sensitive demand: Revenue-sharing and supplier subsidy. With Cai, J., Hu, X., Tadikamalla, P. R., European Journal of Operational Research, 261(1), 143-153, 2017
- Strategic Choices of China’s New Energy Vehicle Industry: An Analysis Based on ANP and SWOT. Energies, 10(4), 537, (2017), With Wang, X., et al.
- Optimal Strategies for Trade-Old-for-Remanufactured Programs: Receptivity, Durability, and Subsidy, International Journal of Production Economics, with X. Han, 193, 602-616, 2017
- Foreign Markets Expansion for Air Medical Transport Business, X. Wang, W. Chen, S. Yang, Journal of the Operational Research Society, pp. 1-14, 2017
- Broad Bond Rating Change and Irresponsible Corporate Social Responsibility Activities, with Sun Li and Wen Chiang, Advances in Accounting , 39, 32-46, 2017
- Supply Allocation: Bi-level Programming and Differential Evolution Algorithm for Natural Disaster Relief, Cluster Computing. With Chen, Y., Tadikamalla, P. Yan, S, 1-5, 2017
- Optimizing Online Recurring Promotions for Dual-Channel Retailers: Segmented Markets with Multiple Objectives. European Journal of Operational Research with Jiang, Y., Liu, Y., Shang, J., Zhang, Q., & Yildirim, P. (2017).
- Reflections on the paper “An Innovative Orders-Of-Magnitude Approach To AHP-Based Mutli-Criteria Decision Making: Prioritizing Divergent Intangible Humane Acts, International Journal of The Analytic Hierarchy Process (2018)
- Identifying impact of intrinsic factors on topic preferences in online social media: A nonparametric hierarchical Bayesian approach. Information Sciences, 423, 219-234. With Liu, Y., et al. (2018).
- Leveraging Big Data to Balance New Key Performance Indicators in Emergency Physician Management Networks, Production and Operations Management, with Foster et al., forthcoming
- Task Interdependence and Firm Performance: Outsourcing Knowledge-Intensive Service Operations, with Ramasubbu, N. May, J., Tjader, and Vargas, by Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Accepted.
- 2004-2005: "Distinguished Professor" for EMBA class 32
- 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2009-2010: Excellence in Teaching Award for MBA program
- 2013-2014: Excellence in Research Award
International Journal of Revenue Management
International Journal of Productivity and Quality Management
International Journal of Manufacturing technology and Management