Professor of Business Administration and Area Director for Business Analytics and Operations
Business Analytics and Operations
Office: 230 Mervis Hall
- PhD, Operations Management, University of Texas at Austin
- MBA, University of Iowa
- Bachelor of International Business, National Taiwan University
Jennifer Shang was a research fellow at The Advanced Manufacturing Program in The IC2 Institute at Austin, Texas, and was a Lilly Endowment Teaching Fellow. In the MBA program, she teaches Statistics, Production Management and Process Improvement, and Simulation. In addition, she teaches the undergraduate Operations Management and Global Supply Chain Management, and courses at the EMBA, IEMBA, and PhD levels as well.
Shang's current research emphasizes three areas: (1) The design, planning, scheduling, and control of operational systems in manufacturing and service organizations. She develops theoretical and heuristic approaches to improve the productivity and quality of business process flows. (2) Design and evaluation of integrated information/operational systems. Given the importance of technology, she emphasizes the innovative use of information technology in the value chain management. (3) Multi-criteria decision making. She uses Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) to measure the relative efficiency of operating units. She also applies Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Analytic Network Process methods to make decisions in complicated environments.
- BQOM 1730 Global Supply Chain Management
- BQOM 1070 Operations Management (CBA)
- BQOM 2516 Project Management Fundamentals & Analysis
- BQOM 2051 Operations Management Project (MBA)
- BQOM 2401 & 2801 Statistical Analysis: Uncertainty, Prediction and Qualilty Improvement (MBA and EMBA)
- Manufacturing and Service Operations Management
- Revenue Management
- Quantitative Methods
- Operations Research and Information Systems
1. “Distribution Network Redesign for Competitiveness”, with Yildirim, Tadikamalla, Mittal, and Brown. Journal of Marketing. 73(2), 2009, pp.146–163
2. “A Decision Support Framework for Internal Audit Prioritization in Rental Car Company: Combined Use between DEA and AHP”, with T. Sueyoshi and W. Chiang. European Journal of Operational Research, 199(1), 2009, pp. 219-231
3. “Core Business Concentration vs. Corporation Diversification in the US Electric Utility Industry: Synergy and Deregulation Effect,” with Sueyoshi and M. Goto. Energy Policy 37(11), 2009, pp. 4583-4594.
4. “Maximizing customer satisfaction through an on line recommendation system: A novel associative classification model”, with Y. Jiang and Y. Liu. Decision Support Systems. 48(3), 2010, pp. 470-479.
5. “Why do Software Firms Fail? Capabilities, Competitive Actions and Firm Survival in the Software Industry from 1995 to 2007,” with S. Li and S. Slaughter. Information Systems Research, 21(3), 2010, 631- 654. Won the Best Published Paper Award, Information Systems Society and Information Systems Research, INFORMS 2011 conference
6. “An Information Granulation Entropy-Based Model for Third-Party Logistics Providers Evaluation,” with G. Zhang and W. Li by International Journal of Production Research. 50 (1), 2012, 177–190.
7. “Offshore Outsourcing Decision Making: A Policy-Maker's Perspective,” with Y. Tjader and L. Vargas. European Journal of Operational Research, 207(1), 2010, 434-444.
8. “ Optimizing E-tailer Profits and Customer Savings: Pricing Multi-Stage Customized Online Bundles,“ with Jiang, C. Kemerer, and Liu, Marketing Science, 30(4), 2011, 737-752
9. “An Innovative Orders-of-Magnitude Approach to AHP-Based Mutli-criteria Decision Making:Prioritizing Divergent Intangible Humane Acts,” with T. Saaty, European Journal of Operational Research, 214(3), 2011, pp.703-715
10. “Collaborative Production Planning of Supply Chain Under Price and Demand Uncertainty,” with Zhang and Li, European Journal of Operational Research, 215, 2011, pp. 590-603
11. “Selection of a 3rd Party Logistics Provider: Capturing the Interaction and Influence of Performance Metrics with the ANP,” Journal of Multi-criteria Decision Analysis, 19: 115–128 (2012)
12. “An Analysis of Discrepancy Between Point-of-Care and Central Laboratory International Normalized Ratio Testing in ED Patients with Cerebrovascular Disease,” with S. Nanduri, A. Tayal, G. Hegde, and A. Venkat, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, (2012), 30, 2025–2029
13. “A New Methodology for Sensitivity and Stability Analysis of Analytic Network Models,” with J. May, T. Tjader, and L. Vargas. European Journal of Operational Research, 224 (2013) 180–188
14. Robust Design of a JIT-Based Cross-Docking Distribution Center: Multi-Criteria Optimization for an Auto Parts Supply Chain, with W. Shi, Z. Liu, and Y. Cui, European Journal of Operational Research, 229(3): 695-706, 2013
15. Firm-Level IT Outsourcing Decision Making: A Balanced Scorecard-Based Analytic Network Process Model, with Tjader, May, Vargas, and Gao. 147(C), January 2014, Pages 614–623 International Journal of Production Economics
16. Supply Chain Channel Strategies with Quality and Marketing Effort-Dependent Demand, with Peng. Ma and H. Wang, International Journal of Production Economics, 144(2): 572-581, 2013
17. Optimizing Shipping Fee Schedule to Maximize E-tailer Profits, with Jiang, and Liu, accepted 146, 634-645, 2013. International Journal of Production Economics.
18. Enhancing Data Consistency in Decision Matrix: Adapting Hadamard Model to Mitigate Judgment Contradiction, with Kou and Ergu accepted by European Journal of Operational Research
19. Contract Design for Two-Stage Supply Chain Coordination: Integrating Manufacturer-Quality and Retailer-Marketing Efforts, with P. Ma and H. Wang, International Journal of Production Economics, 146(2), 2013, Pages 745–755
20. Bicriteria Hierarchical Optimization of Two-Machine Flow Shop Scheduling Problem with Time-Dependent Deteriorating Jobs, with M. Cheng, P. Tadikamalla, and S. Zhang, European Journal of Operational Research, 234 (2014) 650–657
21. “Delays in the Administration of Antimicrobials in the ED and The Impact of An Educational Intervention to Improve Such Administration,” with Groth et al., European Journal of Emergency Medicine, Volume 20, Number 5, October 2013, 339-343
22. “Development and Evaluation of Educational Materials for Pre-hospital and Emergency Department Personnel on the Care of Patients with Autism Spectrum Disorder” with Venkat et al., Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders: Volume 44, Issue 5, May 2014, Page 1252-1259
23. “Incorporating Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment into Emergency Nursing Workflow Using an Existing Computerized Physician Order Entry/Clinical Decision Support System.” with Slain et al., Journal of Emergency Nursing, Volume 40, Number 6, November 2014, 568-574
24. Optimal Design of the Auto Parts Supply Chain for JIT Operations: Sequential Bifurcation Factor Screening and Multi-Response Surface Methodology, with W. Shi, Liu, Z, and X. Zuo, 236(2), 664-676, European Journal of Operational Research, 2014.
25. An analytic decision making framework to evaluate multiple marketing channels, with k. Chen and G. Kou, accepted by Industrial Marketing Management (DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2014.06.01; impact factor 2.376), Feb. 13, 2014
26. Evolution of knowledge sharing behavior in social commerce: An agent-based computational approach, with Jiang, G., Ma, F., P. Chau. 278, 2014, 250–266, Information Sciences (Impact Factor: 3.893)
27. Robust Inventory Decision under Distribution Uncertainty: A CVaR-Based Optimization Approach, International Journal of Production Economics, with R. Qiu, 153, July 2014, 13-23
28. Two-machine flow shop scheduling with deteriorating jobs: Minimizing the weighted sum of makespan and total completion time, with M. Cheng, P. Tadikamalla, and B. Zhang, Journal of the Operational Research Society (2015) 66, 709–719 © 2015
29. Decision Support for Personalized Cloud Service Selection through Multi-Attribute Trustworthiness Evaluation. PloS one (a Computer & Information Science Journal), 9(6), e97762, Ding, S., Xia, C. Y., Zhou, K. L., Yang, S. L., & Shang, J. S. (2014).
30. Robust Optimization for Risk-averse Multi-period Inventory Decision with Partial Demand Distribution Information,International Journal of Production Research, R. Qiu, 52(24), 7472-7495.
31. Single machine scheduling problems with exponentially time-dependent learning effects, with M. Cheng, P. Tadikamalla, and B. Zhang, accepted (Oct. 2014) by Journal of Manufacturing Systems
32. “Racial Disparities in Reimbursement for Physician Professional Services in the Emergency Department,” with Venkat et al., American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2014, Sep 1;32(9):1060-7.
33. “Pharmacist Addition to the Post-Emergency Department Visit Review of Discharge Antimicrobial Regimens,” with Venkat et al., American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2014, Oct 2;32(10):1270-4.
34. A Modular-Based Supplier Evaluation Framework: A Comprehensive Data Analysis of ANP Structure, with D. Ergu, G. Kou, accepted by International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 13(5), September 2014
35. The Rationality of Punishment - Measuring the Severity Of Crimes: An AHP-Based Orders-of-Magnitude Approach. With Saaty and Özdemir, International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 14(1), 2015, 5–16.
36. Incentive Mechanism For Knowledge Sharing In E-Commerce Service Supply Chain: Complementarity, Integration And Risk Attitude, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research (JECR), accepted Oct. 2014, with Z. Liu and M. Lai
37. “Evaluation of Viewpoints of Health Care Professionals on the Role of Ethics Committees and Hospitals in the Resolution of Clinical Ethical Dilemmas Based on Practice Environment,” with Venkat et al., HealthCare Ethics Committee Forum, 2014, Dec; 26(4)
38. Redesigning Promotion Strategy For E-commerce Competitiveness Through Pricing and Recommendation, accepted (Feb. 4, 2015) by International Journal of Production Economics, with Jiang, Y. Liu, and J. May.
39. Visualizing Dynamic Market Structure through Online Product Reviews: Integrate Topic Modeling, TOPSIS, and Multi-Dimensional Scaling Approaches, with K. Chen, G. Kou, C. Yang, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 14 (2015), pp. 58-74.
40. A Comparison of Emergency Department and Direct Admission Care of Cancer Patients with Febrile Neutropenia, with Owolabi, et al., American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2015
41. Impacts of Supplier Hubris on Inventory Decisions and Green Manufacturing Endeavors European Journal of Operational Research, with Lu, et al. accepted by European Journal of Operational Research, 2015
42. “Strategic Management of Operations in the Emergency Department,” with Venkat et al., Production and Operations Management, 2015, accepted.
- 2004-2005: "Distinguished Professor" for EMBA class 32
- 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2009-2010: Excellence in Teaching Award for MBA program
- 2013-2014: Excellence in Research Award
International Journal of Revenue Management
International Journal of Productivity and Quality Management
International Journal of Manufacturing technology and Management