George M. (Bud) Smith Jr.
Clinical Professor of Business Administration
Organizations and Entrepreneurship
Office: 218 Mervis Hall
- M.S. Sloan School of Management, M.I.T., with Harvard Business School option
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
In Management Roles (1967-2000, listed sequentially)
Foseco Minsep, Ltd, London, England. A global specialty chemicals producer.
- CEO (chief executive officer), Eureka Refractories, Inc.
- CEO, Foseco Japan Limited (Osaka, Japan
Rockwell International, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA. A global conglomerate
- V.P. for Far East, Rockwell International Overseas Corporation
- V.P. and General Manager, International Power Tool Division.
- CEO of Swank Refractories Company, Pittsburgh, PA. Maker of specialty chemicals.
- CEO of EDPAC Inc., Cherry Hill, NJ. Maker of computer cooling equipment.
- CEO and Entrepreneur with Swank Metacon, Inc. A Swiss joint venture supplying process technology & equipment
- CEO and Entrepreneur with Berthold Systems, Inc. A German joint venture supplying process technology & equipment.
As a Consultant
- Booz-Allen & Hamilton
- Management Consultant (1964-1967)
- Sewickley Alliance Inc. An executive coaching firm.
- Founder and Master Coach
- Cape Ann & Company. Supports global corporate development
- Founder and Senior Consultant
As an Educator
- Adjunct Professor of Industrial Administration, Carnegie Mellon University (1981-1989)
- Visiting Clinical Professor and founder of the Consulting Field Projects, University of Pittsburgh Katz Graduate School of Business (2000-Present)
- Consulting Field Projects
- Managing Strategic Performance
- Essentials of Entrepreneurial Management
- Competing in Global Environment (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Global Forum - Outsourcing
- The Effective Global Manager (EMBA Global Forum)
- Project Course/Consulting Field Project
- Management Consulting (EMBA elective)
- Patent: “Apparatus and Method for Containing Radioactive Sources”, U.S. Patent 6,084,243, granted in 2000.
- Paper: “The Role of Faculty in MBA Problem-Based Learning”, by G.M. Smith, Jr. and D.C. Good, National Society for Experimental Education (NSEE) Perspectives, Winter, 2010
- Paper: “Upgrading Problem-based Learning by Involving Consulting Professionals”, by G.M. (Bud) Smith, Jr. and Deborah Good. Information Age Publishing. Fall, 2010.
- Book: “Hands-On Consulting”, published by Pearson Learning Solutions, 2012.
- Past Chair, M.I.T. Enterprise Forum of Pittsburgh.
- Past Chair and current board member, World Presidents Organization (YPO) of Pittsburgh.
- Continues to hold his college track record for the 220-yard dash.
- Served in United States Navy as line officer, Atlantic Fleet.
- Lives with wife, Carolyn, in Sewickley, a suburb of Pittsburgh.