Professor of Operations, Decision Science and Artificial Intelligence
Business Analytics and Operations
Office: 356 Mervis Hall
- PhD in Mathematics, University of Sevilla (Spain)
- PhD in Social Systems Sciences, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Luis Vargas was the recipient of the Juan March Foundation Scholarship, Madrid, Spain, to the University of Pennsylvania in 1976-78. He won the Outstanding Professor of the Year Award in the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business in 1984. He was the coordinator of the Quantitative Interest Group from 1987 to 1991; the coordinator of the Artificial Intelligence Interest Group from 1991 to 1994; and chair of the Second International Symposium on the Analytic Hierarchy Process, held in Pittsburgh August 11-14, 1991, at the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business. Area Director of Decision, Operations and Information Technology 2009-2012.
Luis Vargas has focused his research on decision theory, practical applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP), artificial intelligence in manufacturing, the use of artificial intelligence techniques for scheduling, measurement of resource utilization, group decision making, Bayesian networks, and forecasting.
- Multivariate Analysis, Decision Theory
- Forecasting, Revenue Management & Pricing Analytics,
- Decision Technologies in Manufacturing and Operations
- Economic, Political, Social & Technological Applications Of The Analytic Network Process (ANP): Benefits, Opportunities, Costs And Risks, with Thomas L. Saaty. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2006. 2nd edition (2013).
- Models, Methods, Concepts and Applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process, with Thomas L. Saaty. Boston : Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001. 2nd edition (2012).
- “Impacts of supplier hubris on inventory decisions and green manufacturing endeavors,” with X. Lu, J. Shang, S. Wu, G.G. Hegde and D. Zhao. European Journal of Operational Research (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.02.051.
- “Firm-level outsourcing decision making: A balanced scorecard-based Analytic Network Process model,” with Y. Tjader, J.H. May, J. Shang and N. Gao. International Journal of Production Economics 147 (2014) 614-623.
- “General Linear Model Used to Predict Risk-Adjusted Length of Stay in Cardiac Intensive Care,” with David P. Strum. Critical Care Medicine 41,12 (2013)A24.
- “Mathematical Distributions As Models For Length Of Stay In Cardiac Intensive Care Units,” with David P. Strum. Anesthesia & Analgesia 116 (2013) 96.
- “Classifying highly imbalanced ICU data,” with Y.F. Roumani, J.H. May and D.P. Strum. Health Care Management Science16 (2013) 119-128.
- “A New Methodology For Sensitivity And Stability Analysis Of Analytic Network Models,” with J.H. May, J. Shang and Y.C. Tjader. European Journal ofOperational Research 224 (2013) 180-188.
- “Outcomes of Operative Management of Appendicitis,” with Rajeev Dhupar, John Evankovich, Juan B. Ochoa, and Steven J. Hughes. Surgical Infections 13, 3 (2012). DOI 10.1089/sur.2011.104.
- “Delayed operating room availability significantly impacts the total hospital costs of an urgent surgical procedure,” with Rajeev Dhupar, John Evankovich, John R. Klune, and Steven J. Hughes. Surgery, 150, 2, (2011) 299-305
- “The Surgical Scheduling Problem: Current Research And Future Opportunities,” with J.H. May, W.E. Spangler and D.P. Strum. Journal of Production and Operations Management 20, 3, (2011) 392–405.
- “The Possibility Of Group Choice: Pairwise Comparisons and Merging Functions,” with T. L. Saaty. Social Choice and Welfare, Online First™, 2 April 2011, DOI 10.1007/s00355-011-0541-6.
- “Offshore outsourcing decision making: A policy-maker's perspective,” with J. Shang and Y. Tjader. European Journal of Operational Research 207, 1 (2010) 434-444.
- "An Optimization-based Approach for the Design of Bayesian Networks," with A.M. Martinez-Rodriguez and J.H. May, Mathematical and Computer Modeling doi:10.1016/j.mcm.2008.01.007.
- "Euclidean Centers: Computation and a MOLP Application," with A. Arbel. Mathematical and Computer Modeling (2007), doi: 10.1016/j.mcm.2007.07.009.
- "The Consistency Index in Reciprocal Matrices: Comparison of Deterministic and Statistical Approaches." European Journal of Operational Research (2007), doi: 10.1016/j.ejor.2007.06.054.
- "Conflict Identification And Reconciliation In A Collaborative Manufacturing Scheduling Task," with C. Abreu, J.H. May and W. Spangler. Int'l J'l of Information Technology and Decision Making 7, 1 (2008) 183-197.
- "Interval Judgments and Euclidean Centers," with A. Arbel. Mathematical and Computer Modeling 46, 7-8 (2007) 976-984.
- "Dispersion of Group Judgments," with TL Saaty. . Mathematical and Computer Modeling46, 7-8 (2007) 918-925.
- "The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Can Wash Criteria be Ignored?" with T.L. Saaty Int'l J'l of Management and Decision Making Vol. 7, 2/3 (2006) 180-188.
- "An Outpatient Segmentation Model: Estimation of Stakeholder Costs," with DP Strum.Journal of Clinical Investigative Medicine 26, 6(2005) 364-367.
- "The Possibility of Group Welfare Functions," with T.L. Saaty. Int'l J'l of Information Technology and Decision Making, Vol. 4, 2 (2005) 1-10.
- Area Editor, Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis
- Associate Editor, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences.
- Senior Editor, The International Journal of the Analytic Hierarchy Process
Tennis, music, chess, photography, and sailing