Associate Professor of Business Administration
Information Systems and Technology Management
Office: 354 Mervis Hall
- Ph.D., 2006, Business Administration, University of Michigan
- Bachelor of Engineering, 1998, Bharathiar University, India
Personal web page: www.pitt.edu/~narayanr
Narayan Ramasubbu joined the faculty of Katz School in 2012. Previously, he was an Assistant Professor of Information Systems at the Singapore Management University. Prior to his academic career, he was a product manager and senior developer at SAP AG and CGI Inc. His research interests include software process and product design, software-driven innovation with a focus on globally distributed product development and service delivery, technology strategy, and the design, implementation, and governance of enterprise information systems.
- "Software Process Diversity: Conceptualization, Measurement, and Analysis of Impact on Project Performance," Narayan Ramasubbu, Anandhi Bharadwai, and Giri Kumar Tavi, MIS Quarterly, (39) (4), pp. 787-807, 2015.
- “Technical Debt and the Reliability of Enterprise Software Systems: A Competing Risks Analysis,” Narayan Ramasubbu and Chris F. Kemerer, Management Science, 62 (5), pp. 1487-1510, 2015.
- "Managing Technical Debt in Enterprise Software Packages," Narayan Ramasubbu and Chris F. Kemerer, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 40 (8), pp. 758-772, 2014.
- "Design Moves and Design Capital: The Logic of Digital Business Strategy," Jason Woodard, Narayan Ramasubbu, Ted Tschang, V. Sambamurthy, accepted for publication, MIS Quarterly, 37(2), pp. 537-564, 2013.
- "Does Complexity Deter Customer-Focus," Sendil Ethiraj, Narayan Ramasubbu, and M. S. Krishnan, Strategic Management Journal, 33 (2), pp. 137-161, 2012.
- "In Search of Efficient Flexibility: Examining the Effects of Component Granularity Design on Customization Effort, Defects, and Development Effort," Ramanath Subramanyam, Narayan Ramasubbu, and M.S. Krishnan, accepted for publication, Information Systems Research, 23(3), pp. 787-803, 2012.
- "Information Management Capability and Firm Performance: An Empirical Analysis," Sunil Mithas, Narayan Ramasubbu, and V. Sambamurthy, MIS Quarterly, 35 (1), pp. 237-256, 2011.
Recent Working Papers:
- "Digital Geography: An Experimental Investigation of Digital Borders, Location Recognition, and Experience Attribution," Brian K. Dunn, Narayan Ramasubbu, Paul B. Lowry, and Dennis Galletta
- "Performance of Knowledge-Intensive Services Outsourcing Alliances: The Role of Interfirm Modularity in Services Operations," Narayan Ramasubbu, Jen Shang, Jerry May, Youxu Tjader, and Luis Vargas
- "Orchestrating Service Innovation Through Design Moves," Narayan Ramasubbu, Jason Woodard, and Sunil Mithas.
- "Software Process Diversity: Conceptualization, Measurement, and Analysis of Impact on Project Performance," Narayan Ramasubbu, Anandhi Bharadwaj, and Giri Kumar Tayi.
- "Developer Strategies in Mobile Platform Ecosystems," Narayan Ramasubbu, Sangar Kajanan, Nargis Pervin, Kaushik Dutta, and Anindya Datta.
- ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished paper award (2007), for the paper entitled "Globally Distributed Software Development Project Performance: An Empirical Analysis"
- Key Note Speech, Conference on Software Engineering for Outsourced and Offshored Software, ETH, Zurich, 2009.
- ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished paper award (2011), for the paper entitled "Configuring Global Software Teams: A multi-company Analysis of Productivity, Quality, and Profits"
- Associate Editor, Management Science (2014 - Present)
Associate Editor, Information Technology and Management (2012 - Present)
In his spare time, Narayan enjoys photography, exploring the philosophies of South and East Asia, and contributing to open source software."