Clinical Assistant Professor of Business Administration
Marketing and Business Economics
Office: 234 Mervis Hall
- PhD University of Southern California (2001)
- MBA Washington University in St. Louis (1995)
- MS Seoul National University (1987)
- BS Seoul National University (1985)
Yun-Oh Whang’s research interests include consumer information processing, consumer-product relationships, digital marketing, sports and entertainment marketing, and entrepreneurship. He has published in various academic journals including Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of The Academy of Marketing Studies, Journal of Business and Economics Research, and Journal of Selling. He has written various business case studies that were featured in Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship and Journal of Business Case Studies.
Yun-Oh’s teaching interests include a variety of courses ranging from an introductory business course for freshmen to a research methods seminar for PhD students. His courses are designed with an application focus using a hands-on approach to business problems.
Yun-Oh spent years in the industry before coming back to academia. He served as the President and CEO of Starlight Computing, Inc. in South Korea, CEO of Starlight Multimedia Production in St. Louis, Mo., and Senior Executive Vice President of Marketing at Sirius Innotech, Inc. in Los Angeles, Calif. His extensive experience in the industry allows him to bring valuable insights into the classroom.
Yun-Oh also has been active in nonprofit sector serving as a consultant for National Consortium of Academics and Sports (NCAS) promoting diversity on college campuses.
- Introduction of Global Business
- Global Marketing
- Marketing and Society
- Consumer Behavior
- Digital Marketing Management
- Retail and Distribution Management
- Marketing Research
- Sports Marketing
- McFarland, Richard and Yun-Oh Whang (2013), “A Psychometric Analysis and Comparison of Three Competing Communication Style Taxonomies,” Journal of Selling (formerly Journal of Selling and Major Account Management), forthcoming.
- Whang, Yun-Oh, Dean Koutroumanis, and Amy Brownlee (2013), “Developing Social Media Promotional Strategies in The Casual Dining Restaurant Industry: A Case Analysis of Montegro’s Italian Grille,” Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship,” in print.
- Whang, Yun-Oh (2012), “When and Why Does the That’s-Not-All Compliance Technique Work?,” Journal of Business and Economics Research, Vol.10, No. 3 (March), 171-178.
- Whang, Yun-Oh (2012), “Retail Promotion Strategy Analysis: The Challenges at Bob Evans Restaurants,” Journal of Business Case Studies, Vol. 8, No. 2 (March/April).
- National Consortium for Academics and Sports (NCAS)
- National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA)
- Samsung Electronics
- American Airlines
In his spare time, Yun-Oh Whang is a night-sky photographer capturing the beauty of the universe. He also spends time making music at his home recording studio.