MS in Accounting
Accelerate Your Accounting Career
Employment opportunities for accountants are projected to grow 10 percent by 2026, faster than the average for nearly all other occupations. Globalization, a growing economy, and complex tax and regulatory environments are driving demand for accountants.
Established in 2008, the Katz Master of Science in Accounting program (known as MAcc) prepares both accounting and non-accounting majors for positions in accounting firms, not-for-profits, industry, and government. Katz’s curriculum teaches the technical know-how required by employers and develops professional skills that set our students apart from other job candidates.
Katz’s STEM-designated Master of Science in Accounting and Business Analytics program integrates data analytics with in-depth training in accounting to prepare students to become multi-dimensional accountants. This future-focused approach produces graduates who can work with data to glean important financial insights.
Both programs prepare students to pass the CPA exam, by covering the content areas of the exam and by satisfying the 150-credit hour requirement of Pennsylvania and most other U.S. states.
Upon graduating, you’ll be prepared to pass the CPA exam, and you will have satisfied the 150 credit-hour requirement required by most U.S. states to qualify for CPA certification.
The MAcc program at Katz brings together award-winning professors, industry experts, and knowledgeable students to explore and analyze complex business activities and apply emerging technologies. With courses from Forensic Accounting to Data Analytics, we strive to help our students prepare for success in a shifting market and successfully pass the CPA exam. I value the preparedness and enthusiasm our students bring and the experiences we provide to help them be ready for their future.
- Forensic Accountant
- Tax Associate
- Tech Assurance
- Accounting Data Analyst
- Audit and Advisory Positions
Facts and Figures
- Seventy percent of Pitt accounting graduates pass the CPA exam on their first attempt, compared with 55.7% across Pennsylvania and a national average of approximately 50%.
The NASBA Report on the CPA Exam, 2019
- The MS in Accounting program is ranked 9th among U.S. public schools.
The Financial Engineer, 2018
- The MS in Accounting and Business Analytics is STEM-designated.
- Pitt undergraduate students can earn the BSBA and MAcc degrees in only four years through the University’s 3 + 1 Program.
- The MS in Accounting program can be completed in 9-,12-, or 17- months depending upon the successful completion of the required prerequisites.
- The MS in Accounting and Business Analytics program can be completed in 17 months or less.