In Management Roles (1967-2000, listed sequentially)
Foseco Minsep, Ltd, London, England. A global specialty chemicals producer.
- CEO (chief executive officer), Eureka Refractories, Inc.
- CEO, Foseco Japan Limited (Osaka, Japan)
Rockwell International, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA. A global conglomerate
- V.P. for Far East, Rockwell International Overseas Corporation
- V.P. and General Manager, International Power Tool Division.
CEO of Swank Refractories Company, Pittsburgh, PA. Maker of specialty chemicals.
CEO of EDPAC Inc., Cherry Hill, NJ. Maker of computer cooling equipment.
CEO and Entrepreneur with Swank Metacon, Inc. A Swiss joint venture supplying process technology & equipment
CEO and Entrepreneur with Berthold Systems, Inc. A German joint venture supplying process technology & equipment.
As a Consultant
Booz-Allen & Hamilton
- Management Consultant (1964-1967)
Sewickley Alliance Inc. An executive coaching firm.
- Founder and Master Coach
Cape Ann & Company. Supports global corporate development.
- Founder and Senior Consultant
As an Educator
Adjunct Professor of Industrial Administration, Carnegie Mellon University (1981-1989)
Visiting Clinical Professor and founder of the Consulting Field Projects, University of Pittsburgh Katz Graduate School of Business (2000-Present)
Courses Recently Taught
- Consulting Field Projects
- Managing Strategic Performance
- Essentials of Entrepreneurial Management
- Competing in Global Environment (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Global Forum - Outsourcing
- The Effective Global Manager (EMBA Global Forum)
- Project Course/Consulting Field Project
- Management Consulting (EMBA elective)
Professional Service and Activities
- Past Chair, M.I.T. Enterprise Forum of Pittsburgh.
- Past Chair and current board member, World Presidents Organization (YPO) of Pittsburgh.
- M.S. Sloan School of Management, M.I.T., with Harvard Business School option
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Patent: “Apparatus and Method for Containing Radioactive Sources”, U.S. Patent 6,084,243, granted in 2000.
Paper: “The Role of Faculty in MBA Problem-Based Learning”, by G.M. Smith, Jr. and D.C. Good, National Society for Experimental Education (NSEE) Perspectives, Winter, 2010
Paper: “Upgrading Problem-based Learning by Involving Consulting Professionals”, by G.M. (Bud) Smith, Jr. and Deborah Good. Information Age Publishing, Fall, 2010.
Book: Hands-On Consulting, published by Pearson Learning Solutions, 2012.
Continues to hold his college track record for the 220-yard dash. Served in United States Navy as line officer, Atlantic Fleet. Lives with wife, Carolyn, in Sewickley, a suburb of Pittsburgh. Community Service Past Chair, M.I.T. Enterprise Forum of Pittsburgh. Past Chair and current board member, World Presidents Organization (YPO) of Pittsburgh.