Laurie J. Kirsch, Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Professor of Business Administration, joined the faculty of the Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh in 1993 after completing her PhD in business administration at the University of Minnesota. She is a former Associate Dean at the Katz School.
Her research explores the exercise of control and the transfer of knowledge in the IS context, examining how stakeholders can better manage IS initiatives and improve software processes. Her research has appeared in leading academic journals such as Organization Science, MIS Quarterly, Management Science, Information Systems Research, and Accounting, Management and Information Technologies.
Dr. Kirsch has received two recent grants from the National Science Foundation. She was awarded $300,000 by NSF to study "Identifying Faultlines, Circumventing Faultline Eruptions, and Mitigating the Effects of Faultlines" between 2009 and 2012. In 2006-2007, NSF awarded her $250,000 for a project titled "Managing the Unmanageable: Recommendations for Structuring and Governing Complex, Dynamic, and Distributed Projects."
Dr. Kirsch currently serves or has served on the editorial boards of Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, Management Science and several other academic journals. She is active in the International Conference on Information Systems, the Academy of Management, and the Association for Information Systems.
Courses Recently Taught
- Project Management (MBA)
- The Deployment of Global IT Solutions (MBA)
- Foundations of IS Research (PhD)
- IS Implementation and Organizational Change (PhD)
Awards and Honors
- Research Excellence Award, Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh, 2008.
- Visiting Erskine Fellow, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2007.
- Magid Igbaria Distinguished Scholar, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, Calif., 2003.
- Teaching Excellence Award, Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh, 2001, 2002.
Professional Service and Activities
- Senior Editor, Information Systems Research, 2005-2007
- Associate Editor, Information Systems Research, 2000-04
- Associate Editor, Management Science, 1999-2006
- Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly, 1999-2004
- Editorial Board, Decision Sciences, 2004-
- Editorial Board, Information and Organization, 2000-
- Editorial Board, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 2000-
- Editorial Board, MISQ Executive, 2001-2007
- Program Cochair, International Conference on Information Systems, 2004
- Division Chair, OCIS Division of the Academy of Management, 2004-05
- Americas Representative to the Association of Information Systems, 2003-05
- PhD, University of Minnesota
- MA, University of Iowa
- BS, Ohio State University
Kirsch, Laurie J., Dong-Gil Ko, and Mark H. Haney. "Investigating the Antecedents of Team-Based Clan Control: Adding Social Capital as a Predictor," forthcoming, Organization Science.
Boss, Scott R., Laurie J. Kirsch, Ingo Angermeier, Raymond Shingler, and R.W. Boss. "If Someone is Watching, I'll Do What I'm Asked: Mandatoriness, Control, and Information Security," European Journal of Information Systems (18:2), April 2009, pp. 151-164.
DeSanctis, Gerardine, Marshall Scott Poole, Ilze Zigurs, et al. "The Minnesota GDSS Research Project: Group Support Systems, Group Processes, and Outcomes," Journal of the Association of Information Systems (9:10), Article 6, 2008.
Shang, Jennifer, Pandu R. Tadikamalla, Laurie J. Kirsch, and Lawrence Brown. "A Decision Support System for Managing Inventory at GlaxoSmithKline," Decision Support Systems (46:1), December 2008, pp. 1-13.
Slaughter, Sandra A. and Laurie J. Kirsch. "The Effectiveness of Knowledge Transfer Portfolios in Software Process Improvement: A Field Study,” Information Systems Research (17:3), September 2006, pp. 301-320.
Ko, Dong-Gil, Laurie J. Kirsch, and William R. King. "Antecedents of Knowledge Transfer from Consultants to Clients in Enterprise System Implementations," MIS Quarterly (29:1), March 2005, pp. 59-85.
Kirsch, Laurie J., "Deploying Common Systems Globally: The Dynamics of Control," Information Systems Research (15:4), December 2004, pp. 374-395.
Kirsch, Laurie J., V. Sambamurthy, Dong-Gil Ko, and Russell L. Purvis. "Controlling Information Systems Development Projects: The View from the Client," Management Science (48:4), April 2002, pp. 484-498.