Priyanga Gunarathne is an Assistant Professor of Business Administration (Information Systems and Technology Management) in the Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh. Prior to her academic career, she worked several years in the software industry, as a lead software engineer. She received her Ph.D. in Business Administration (Computer Information Systems) at the Simon Business School of the University of Rochester.
Her current research portfolio mostly focuses on the development of theory-driven empirical studies to provide new insights into consumer and firm behavior in the digital age. Her scholarship is largely grounded on an interdisciplinary multi-method approach that includes econometric analysis, survey data analysis, and field experiments, along with machine learning, deep learning, and natural language processing techniques to leverage largely unstructured data on social media. Her research has been published in leading academic journals such as MIS Quarterly and Journal of Management Information Systems.
She holds a B.Sc. in Computer Science and Engineering and an MBA in Information Technology from the University of Moratuwa.
Courses Recently Taught
BMIS 2542 – Data Programming with Python (MBA)
Awards and Honors
- Best Paper Nominee: 39th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2018)
- Best Paper Nominee: 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2017)
- Best Paper Nominee: Workshop on e-Business (WeB 2017)
Professional Service and Activities
- Management Information Systems Quarterly (MISQ)
- Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS)
- Decision Support Systems (DSS)
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS)
- Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS)
- PhD in Business Administration (Computer Information Systems), Simon Business School, University of Rochester.
- MS in Business Administration, Simon Business School, University of Rochester.
- MBA in Information Technology, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa
- BSc Eng. (Hons) in Computer Science and Engineering, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa
Priyanga Gunarathne, Huaxia Rui, and Abraham Seidmann. 2018. “When Social Media Delivers Customer Service: Differential Customer Treatment in the Airline Industry,” MIS Quarterly (42:2), pp. 489-520.
Priyanga Gunarathne, Huaxia Rui, and Abraham Seidmann. 2017. “Whose and What Social Media Complaints Have Happier Resolutions? Evidence from Twitter,” Journal of Management Information Systems (34:2), pp. 314-340.
In her spare time, Priyanga likes to explore the Pāli Canon, the standard collection of scriptures in the Theravada Buddhist tradition. She also loves baking and sewing for her little daughter Shakya.