Leon Valdes joined the Katz faculty in 2017. His primary research focuses on the impact of human behavior on the management of sustainable operations. For example, he has studied through laboratory experiments and analytical models how supply chain transparency affects consumers’ valuations of sustainable products and companies’ investments in social responsibility. Leon’s research received the Best Student Paper award from the POMS College of Sustainable Operations (2015) and was the Runner-Up in the Best Working Paper competition from the INFORMS Behavioral Operations Management Section (2015).
Awards and Honors
- 1st place, POMS College of Sustainable Operations, Best Student Paper Competition 2015
- 2nd place, INFORMS Behavioral Operations Management, Best Working Paper Competition 2015
- Eiffel Excellence Scholarship, French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development, 2005–2007
- Academic Excellence Scholarship, University of Chile – School of Engineering, 2003
- PhD in Operations Management, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- MS in Engineering, Ecole Centrale Paris
- BS in Industrial Engineering, Universidad de Chile
“Supply Chain Visibility and Social Responsibility: Investigating Consumers’ Behaviors and Motives”, with Tim Kraft and Yanchong Zheng. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Fall 2018, 20(4), 617–636.
Zheng, Yanchong, Tim Kraft, and Leon Valdes (2016), “Assessing Consumers’ Valuations of Socially Responsible Products with Controlled Experiments,” Environmentally Responsible Supply Chains, A. Atasu, ed. Springer, 29-50.
Recent Working Papers
Kraft, Tim, Leon Valdes, and Yanchong Zheng, “Improving Supplier Social Responsibility under Incomplete Visibility.”
Caldentey, Rene, Leon Valdes, “Financial Hedging of Operational and Risk Management Constraints.”
Business Analytics and Operations
Leon loves going to the theater and to classical music concerts. In his spare time, he likes playing Latin-American folk and Early Music. He is also an avid podcast listener.