Manmohan Aseri is an Assistant Professor of Information Systems and Technology Management at the University of Pittsburgh Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business. His research primarily focuses on the economics of AI. In his recent work on algorithmic fairness, he studied how different notions of fairness affect various stakeholders. This work highlights that a notion of algorithmic fairness, designed to protect a group (e.g., minority), can make the same group worse off. In another piece of work on algorithmic fairness, he is analyzing how different fairness notions at different steps of a decision-making process can interact, in the context of targeted advertising. In another stream of work, Professor Aseri studies the economics of blockchain. Specifically, he studied the economic limit of scaling in cryptocurrencies and the impact of cryptocurrencies on payment systems. He has also studied the economic problems arising in the digital advertising ecosystem. Within this context, Professor Aseri has investigated several challenges faced by different stakeholders, including (i) bidding strategies for mobile-promotion platforms in real-time ad-auctions and (ii) decisions of publishers on whether to allow ad-free access to ad-block users or require them to white-list, and the corresponding ad-intensities.
Economics of AI, Algorithmic Bias
Awards and Honors
- Best Student Paper Award Winner in CIST 2021 (with Ph.D. student Di Yuan).
- Nunamaker – Chen Dissertation Runner-Up Award, INFORMS ISS 2018.
- Best Dissertation Award, UT Dallas, May 2018.
- Best Conference Paper Award, CIST 2017.
- Best Conference Paper Runner-Up Award, CIST 2016
- Nominated for Best Student Conference Paper Award, CIST 2017.
- Nominated for Best Conference Paper Award, CIST 2018.
- Academic Excellence Award, UT Dallas, May 2018.
- Winner – JSOM 3-Minute Dissertation Competition 2017.
- PhD Research Grant at UT Dallas 2012-2017.
- Graduate Research Fellowship, UT Dallas 2017-2018.
- Doctoral Student Scholarship, UT Dallas 2012-2017.
Professional Service and Activities
- Associate Editor: Information Technology and Management (ITM), March 2020 – Present.
- Associate Editor: International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2021.
- Reviewer: Management Science, Information Systems Research (ISR), MISQ, Production and Operations Management (POM), Decision Support Systems (DSS), CIST, WITS, ICWS.
- Discussant and Session Chair: WISE 2020.
- Member of Program Committee: CIST 2018, 2020, 2021; WITS 2018, 2019, 2020; DSI 2018.
- Session Organizer: INFORMS Annual Meeting 2017, 2020; POMS 2021.
- Member: INFORMS, AIS
- B. Tech. in Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India
- Ph.D. in Management Science, The University of Texas at Dallas, Naveen Jindal School of Management
Published Journal Papers
1. Manmohan Aseri, Milind Dawande, Ganesh Janakiraman, and Vijay Mookerjee. 2018. “Procurement Policies for Mobile-Promotion Platforms.” Management Science 64(10): 4590-4607.
2. Manmohan Aseri, Milind Dawande, Ganesh Janakiraman, and Vijay Mookerjee. “Ad-Blockers: A Blessing or a Curse?” Information Systems Research 31(2): 297-652.
3. Runshan Fu, Manmohan Aseri, Param Vir Singh, and Kannan Srinivasan. “Un”Fair Machine Learning Algorithms. Forthcoming in Management Science.
4. Nikhil Malik, Manmohan Aseri, Param Vir Singh, and Kannan Srinivasan. “Why Bitcoin Will Fail to Scale?” Forthcoming at Management Science.
Papers Under Review
1. Di Yuan, Manmohan Aseri, Tridas Mukhopadhyay. “Is Fair Advertising Good for Plat- forms?” Under review at Management Science.
2. Manmohan Aseri, Amit Mehra, Vijay Mookerjee, Hong Xu. “Should an Ad-Agency Offer Geoconquesting or Protection From It?” Reject and Resubmit at Information Systems Research.
Information Systems and Technology Management