314 Mervis Hall
Robert J. Gilbert is currently a Clinical Associate Professor of marketing at the Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh. He teaches both graduate and undergraduate level courses in marketing, marketing management, and advertising and promotions at Pitt, and consults with firms across a number of industries both domestically and internationally.
Gilbert earned his PhD in business administration from the University of Pittsburgh in 1997. His ongoing research interests focus on the areas of branding and brand management. Prior to the start of his academic career, Gilbert spent 15 years in the telecommunications industry. While employed by Bell of Pennsylvania, AT&T, and Bell Atlantic (Verizon), he managed responsibilities in the areas of sales, sales management, strategic planning, competitive analysis, pricing, product/service delivery, advertising, and promotions across a range of different product lines and product categories. His most recent nonacademic position was as the director of marketing for Bell Atlantic’s Directory Publishing division, where he oversaw the product management/development, pricing, and promotion strategies for the firm’s printed directory product line.
Gilbert has consulted with firms both in the United States as well as overseas, in various industries including advertising, primary metals, chemicals, educational software, and real estate, among others. These consulting activities have principally focused on issues in marketing strategy and international trade. Gilbert has been a periodic contributor of articles published by the Pittsburgh Business Times.
Courses Recently Taught
- BMKT 1481 Marketing Management
- BMKT 2528 Advertising
- BUSMKT 1040 Introduction to Marketing
- BUSMKT 1485 Projects in Marketing
- BUSMKT 1426 Advertising and Sales Promotion
- BUSMKT 1421 Selling Skills and Sales Management<
Awards and Honors
- University of Pittsburgh Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award, 2010
- College of Business Administration Teacher of the Year Award (2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010-2011)
- Faculty Teaching Awards (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012)
- Member, Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
- Member, Beta Gamma Sigma National Honor Society
- Student Government Board Students’ Choice Award (2004)
Professional Service and Activities
- Secretary, University of Pittsburgh Chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma
- Undergraduate Programs Committee, College of Business Administration
Gilbert has consulted with firms both in the United States as well as overseas, in various industries including advertising, primary metals, chemicals, educational software, and real estate, among others. These consulting activities have principally focused on issues in marketing strategy and international trade.
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 1997
- BS, Pennsylvania State University, 1976
Marketing and Business Economics
Bob enjoys spending his spare time pursuing an assortment of activities including playing guitar, composing music, golfing, and bicycling. He lives in Mt. Lebanon with his wife.