Brad Messner joins the University of Pittsburgh Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business and College of Business Administration in 2023 after 25 years working in industry and 7 years in higher education. He is currently finishing his PhD in Business with a concentration in Information Systems; he also recently was one of only five people awarded the inaugural NCAE-C PhD Scholarship for his research in cybersecurity, blockchain, and accounting information systems.
Prior to joining the University of Pittsburgh, Messner taught at Seton Hill University in Greensburg, PA where he was the Department Coordinator for Computer Science and Information Systems teaching courses in Information Systems, Data Analytics, Data Science, Cybersecurity, Computer Science, and multiple MBA programs. He worked very closely on integrating technology and automation into other departments and disciplines, including working on the launch team to bring Esports to campus and integrating data analytics into the entire business curriculum. Messner worked closely with students on personal projects and locating nationally-recognizable internships such as Meta, the FBI, Schneider Downs, Volkswagen, Este Lauder, AT&T, PNC Bank, Amazon, the NCFTA, Ernst & Young, Comcast, Northrop Grumman, and more.
Prior to his time in higher education, Messner worked in the travel industry focused on technology and the automation of business processes. He worked for regional, national, and global organizations for 15 years before starting his own international software company focused on technology automation within the travel space.
Messner started working at his family’s tax preparation firm in high school and continues to work there as an Enrolled Agent and National Speaker. Outside of his work there with tax preparation and planning, he spends his summers teaching tax topics and cybersecurity at tax and accounting conferences nationally. He has been called upon as an expert in multiple accounting-firm breaches to assist with corrective measures.
- BUSBIS 0100 Programming Essentials for Business Analytics
- BUSBIS 1060 Introduction to Information Systems
- BMIS 2551 Project Management Concepts and Processes
- Blockchain Technologies, Smart Contracts, & Cryptocurrency
- Information Systems
- Corporate Automation
- Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAO’s)
Awards and Honors
- Department of Defense, NCAE-C PhD Scholarship Recipient 2022-2024
- Seton Hill University, Faculty Advisor of the Year 2021
- GBTA, Ladders Program 2013
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- American Accounting Association
- Association of Software Professionals
- International Game Developers Association
- National Association of Tax Professionals
- National Association of Enrolled Agents
Degrees & Education
- PhD, Business, Information Systems
Indiana University of Pennsylvania (In Progress)
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- BS, Management, Information Systems
University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
- Certificate, Hospitality and Tourism Management
Florida Atlantic University
- Certificate, Faith and Finance
Professional Service & Activities
- Seton Hill University, Writing Intensive Committee Representative
- Seton Hill University, Academic Technology Committee Representative
- Certified Blockchain Solutions Architect
- Enrolled Agent
- CompTIA ITF+
- CompTIA Cloud Essentials
- Google Technical Support Fundamentals
Information Systems and Technology Management
Brad also enjoys working with the family business, traveling every opportunity he gets, camping (well, more glamping lately), and working with Esports.