Mark is an Assistant Professor of Business Administration at the University of Pittsburgh. Currently, he teaches Intermediate Financial Accounting. His research interests include capital market, financial reporting, tax reporting, and corporate governance. He is especially interested in 1) exploring new research ideas, 2) challenging conventional thoughts in accounting research, and 3) empirically testing economic and accounting theories. He earned his doctoral degree from the University of Oklahoma and previously worked at American University.
Awards and Honors
- Journal of International Accounting Research Best Reviewer Award, 2018
- FARS Excellence in Reviewing Award, 2018
- ConocoPhillips Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, 2012
- AAA/Deloitte/Michael J. Cook Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2012
- AAA International Accounting Section Ph.D. Student Travel Grant, 2012
- Michael Price College of Business Summer Research Award, 2010
- National Scholarship, China, 2008
Professional Service and Activities
Editorial Board Member
- The International Journal of Accounting, 2017-present
- Journal of International Accounting Research, 2018-present
The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Accounting Research, Review of Accounting Studies, Contemporary Accounting Research, Management Science, The International Journal of Accounting, Journal of International Accounting Research, Accounting Horizon, Journal of the American Taxation Association, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, International Review of Finance, Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, Advances in Accounting, incorporating Advances in International Accounting
- BSBA, Accounting, Beijing Normal University
- PhD, Accounting, The University of Oklahoma
- “Is Silence Golden Sometimes? Management Guidance Withdrawals During the COVID-19 Pandemic” with Ole-Kristian Hope, Congcong Li and Xijiang Su, Review of Accounting Studies, forthcoming
- “Are Tax Havens and Offshore Financial Centers Cracked Down on? A Study on the International Standard of Exchange of Information on Request” with Yijun Li, The Accounting Review, forthcoming
- “Transporting transparency: Director Foreign Experience and Corporate Information Environment” With Guanmin Liao and Xiaoyun Yu, Journal of International Business Studies, forthcoming
- “The Effect of Tax Avoidance Crackdown on Corporate Innovation” with Qin Li and Terry Shevlin, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2021 (71).
- “Agency Costs and Tax Planning when the Government is a Major Shareholder” with Mark Bradshaw and Guanmin Liao, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2019 (67). Lead article.
- “Economic Link and the Spillover Effect of Earnings Quality on Market Risk” The Accounting Review, 2017 (92).
- “Tax Avoidance and Geographic Earnings Disclosure” with Ole-Kristian Hope and Wayne Thomas, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2013 (56).