222 Mervis Hall
Esther Gal-Or joined the Katz School in 1980. She has also taught as a visiting professor at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology and the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University. Gal-Or’s research and teaching interests are in microeconomics, industrial organization, game theory, and the industrial structure of healthcare, media, and Internet markets. Her work has been sponsored by the National Science Foundation and other government agencies. It has been published in economics and management journals such as Econometrica, Review of Economic Studies, Journal of Economic Theory, Bell (Rand) Journal of Economics, Information Systems Research, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Journal of Business, Management Science, Marketing Science, and Production and Operations Management. She serves on the editorial boards of a variety of economics and management journals.
Courses Recently Taught
- Economic Analysis for Managerial Decisions (Required course in MBA and IEMBA programs
- Applications of Game Theory in Managerial Decision Making (elective course in MBA program)
- Seminar in the Theory of Industrial Organization (PhD program)
- Seminar in Microeconomics (PhD program)
- Managerial Economics
- Applied Game Theory
- Industrial Organization
Areas of Expertise
Awards and Honors
- 1989 University of Pittsburgh President’s Distinguished Research Award
- Fellow of the International Journal of Industrial Organization
- National Science Foundation Awards, 1985-87, 1990-92, 1994-96, 1999-2001
- Agency for Health Care Policy and Research Award, 1994-95
- Katz School Excellence in Teaching Award 2001, 2010
- Katz School Excellence in Research Award 2006-7, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2016-2017
Professional Service and Activities
- Editor, European Economic Review, 2002-2012
- Coeditor, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy
- Senior Editor, Production and Operations Management, 2013-2018
- Past Associate Editor, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Journal of Industrial Economics, Marketing Science, Review of Accounting Studies
- National Science Foundation Economics Panel, 1999-2001
- PhD in Managerial Economics and Decision Sciences, Northwestern University
- MSc in Economics, Technion-Israel Inst. of Technology
- BSc in Economics, Technion-Israel Inst. of Technology
- “Designing Entry Strategies for Subscription Platforms,” with Qiaoni Shi, Management Science, January 2022 (Published Online).
- “Regulating Native Advertising, “ with Tansev Geylani and Yue Wu, Management Science, January 2022 (Published Online).
- “The Emergence of Streaming and Its Impact on Pricing and Product Strategies of Content Providers,” with Mark Bender and Tansev Geylani, Managerial and Decision Economics, February 2022 (Published Online).
- “Attracting Artists to Music streaming Platforms,” with Mark Bender and Tansev Geylani, European Journal of Operational Research, pp. 1083-1097, May 2021.
- “A Theory of ‘Why and How’ Audit Firms Choose to Specialize,“ with Ronen Gal-Or European Accounting Review, March 2021 (REAR 1890631).
- “How Does Competition among Lodging Sharing Platforms affect Welfare and Profits?” Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, pp. 45-62, Spring 2021.
- “Market Segmentation on Dating Platforms,” International Journal of Industrial Organization, January 2020 (102558).
- “Can Platform Competition Support Market Segmentation? Network Externalities vs. Matching Efficiency in Equity Crowdfunding Markets,“ with Ronen Gal-Or and Nabita Penmetsa, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, pp. 420-435, May 2019.
- “Crowdfunding as a Vehicle for Raising Capital and for Price Discrimination,” with Mark Bender and Tansev Geylani, Journal of Interactive Marketing, pp. 1-19, May 2019.
- “Peer-to-Peer Sharing in the Lodging Market: Evaluating Implications for Social Welfare and Profitability,” Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, pp. 686-704, October 2018.
- “Reward-Based Crowdfunding Campaigns: Informational Value and Access to Venture Capital,” with Rachel Chen and Paolo Roma, Information Systems Research, pp. 679-697, April 2018.
- “The Role of User Privacy Concerns in Shaping Competition in Online Advertising Markets,” with Ronen Gal-Or and Nabita Penmetsa, Information Systems Research, pp. 698-722, April 2018.
- “Provision of Optional versus Standard Product Features in Competition,” with Subramanian Balachander, Tansev Geylani, and Alex Kim. Journal of Marketing, pp. 80-95, May 2017.
- “Dynamic Pricing of New Services in Subscription Markets,” with Jerrold May and Nabita Penmetsa, Production and Operations Management, pp. 896-916, June 2015.
- “Opaque Distribution Channel for Competing Service Providers: Posted Price vs. Name-Your-Own- Price Mechanisms,” with Rachel Chen and Paolo Roma, Operations Research, pp. 733-750, July-August 2014.
- The Impact of Advertising on Media Bias,” with Tansev Geylani and Tuba Pinar Yildirim, Journal of Marketing Research, pp. 92-99, 2012.
- “User Generated Content in News Media,” with Tansev Geylani and Tuba Pinar Yildirim, Management Science, pp. 2655-2666, December 2013.
- “Compatibility and Proprietary Standards: The Impact of Conversion Technologies in IT-Markets with Networks Effects,” with Zhechau Liu, Chris Kemerer, and Michael Smith, Information Systems Research, pp. 188-207, 2011.
- “Bundling Strategies when Products are Vertically Differentiated and Capacities are Limited,” with Mihai Banciu and Prakash Mirchandani, Management Science, pp. 2207-2223, 2010.
- “Minimum Differentiation in Commercial Media Markets,” with Anthony Dukes, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, pp. 291-325, 2003.
- “Negotiations and Exclusivity Contracts for Advertising,” with Anthony Dukes, Marketing Science, pp. 222-245, 2003.
- “First Mover Disadvantages with Private Information,” Review of Economic Studies, pp. 279-292, 1987.
- “Information Sharing in Oligopoly,” Econometrica, pp.329-343, 1985.
- “First Mover and Second Mover Advantages,” International Economic Review, pp. 649-653, 1985.
Recent Working Papers
- “Sustainable Investment: Effects of Green Manufacturing and Social Responsibility in Competition, “ with Mikhail Gordon and Jennifer Shang, 2020.
- “Buy One, Give One: Investing in Donation-Based Corporate Social Responsibility,“ with Mikhail Gordon and Jennifer Shang, 2021.
- “How Does the Rule to Promote Campaigns by a Crowdfunding Platform Affect Target Setting and Sharing of Campaign’s Revenues?” with Joyaditya Laik and Prakash Mirchandani, 2020.
- “Sharing Economy and Quality Competition among Traditional Lodging Providers,” with Mattia Cattaneo, Tiziana D’Alfonso, Umberto Panniello, and Paolo Roma, 2021.
Marketing and Business Economics
Folk dancing, travel, theater, and movies.